Monday, January 16, 2006

Slow Days

Today is Martin Luther King Jr Day and as a direct result, I am sure many of our patients think our company is closed. Little do they know our call center stays open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. And yes, that includes Christmas. But am I complaining? Oh no, we don't have to work the holidays unless enough people don't volunteer. And money hungry people like myself definitely do exist. But today, the calls are slow and I am enjoying my co-workers. We are cracking jokes, talking about silly things, and actually laughing for a change. The job itself is just so stressful. Typically, the calls are back to back and dealing with people who test our patience is trying. You have to read your caller. You have to know when to be firm and when to be understanding. You have to respect them even if they are yelling at you and turning it into a personal matter. You basically have to go above and beyond on every call in order to be scored well and succeed in the company. So yeah, it is stressful. I don't always like it and I am not always good at it, but I do succeed in my job. Today feels like a reward. It's nice to be able to enjoy the day between calls, to take a breath and relax.

No comments: