Saturday, January 21, 2006

"I thought we were cooler than that..."

There is a guy at work who loves to hear himself talk. He comes from a wealthy family and has many possessions that I am sure he doesn't pay for himself. How could you work part-time in a call center and afford to live in a million dollar home without help from the folks?? Anyway, he's loud and often hilarious. He is great at verbiage and could probably talk anyone down. The problem I have is when he crosses the line with his liberal ways. I was on a break when he threw a stack of papers at me after putting a patient on hold. He got back on the line and proceeded to say how "Lydia B needs coaching" and he would be sure to talk to me. After saying my name twice at the top of his voice, I was infuriated. I was publically humiliated. In a call center, sound travels. Everyone on my team heard him and wondered what I had done wrong, wondered what I didn't know or passed along to the patient incorrectly. There were several regular reps in the surrounding area who look to me for help and supervision that I am sure heard him. I walked away. I fumed into the break room and decided that something had to be done. I had addressed him in the past for unprofessional behavior and he laughed at me. So I asked my supervisor for a meeting and explained my frustration. If I need coaching or help with something, by all means tell me, but tell me privately. Do not make a scene. My supervisor had actually heard him saying it and agreed that he was out of line and too loud, but it didn't surprise me that she didn't think to address him without me coming to her. You see, this guy's sister works in human resources, he gets away with murder. As an apology, he sent me an email saying he assumed I knew he was only kidding and never meant to offend me. Well. He did. I didn't respond to the email and treated him as I always do later that day. Yesterday he brought it up again saying I should have addressed him directly because he thought we were cooler than that. I tried to defend myself saying he never takes me seriously... but then I thought to myself.... I didn't bus toss this guy. If he is "hanging onto his job by his fingernails" he shouldn't say shit like that. Obviously he is going to offend someone. He is trying to manipulate me into thinking my actions were wrong by going to my supervisor. So do I go to him again and state my case? I think not. In this situation, I think I have done what needed to be done. Beyond that, I simply don't care.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I think you did the right thing. This guy is a jerk and he was trying to make you feel guilty for sticking up for youself. He knows what he does is wrong but he also knows he can get away with it. If he says that he thought you were guys were cooler than that say we are as long as you don't touch my phone, when I'm with a customer. I'm proud of you for sticking up for yourself!