Sunday, December 25, 2005

Christmas Time

Today is Christmas Eve. This year doesn't quite feel like Christmas. I am apart from my parents for the first time in my life. I am sitting at work in a call center beside a man who loves talking. I have heard the same stories several times. I watch him laugh with his belly bouncing and he oddly reminds me of Santa Claus. He is a good man, a kind man. He is in need of attention and I normally lend an ear and encouraging statements to let him know that someone is here to listen. He has never been married and lives alone. Most people at work view him as a talker, someone that will talk to you until he turns blue in the face. I view him as a lonely man in view of a friend. On bad days, the constant discussion drains me of all good will and I want to yell to stop the tirade. But on good days I think he is an amusing man.
I talked to my parents this morning with my sister while opening presents. We all took turns as if we were all in the same room and not two thousand miles apart. I wanted to cry at one point from missing them. But as mom said, the more we are apart the easier it will become. "The first time is always the worst." Well if this is the worst, I am glad for it. I have been short tempered in my personal life and somewhat hopeless.
Now that the "holidays" are here and I am creating a blog for lack of anything better to do, life is starting to feel normal again. My boyfriend and I are spending the evening together and exchanging gifts. I hope he likes my practical gifts and forgives me for not getting him the elusive X Box 360. I am nervous about his gifts, hoping that he was teasing when he casually said he had no idea what to get me. Five months in a relationship is plenty of time to know what I might like... I am sure it will be a wonderful night. Surf and turf, Pinot Noir, bread, and Brent. Life is wonderful.

No comments: