Sunday, December 25, 2005

Background Check

Virginia. Virginia is where I found myself. Amid the mountains and Southern hospitality, I blossomed. I grew up in Florida and remained sullen, quiet, and uninterested. When we moved to Virginia when I was in 6th grade, I became vibrant and popular in school. I was given a fresh start. In high school I fell in love with a boy from another school 30 minutes away. He was so much like me, the life of the party, and he adored me. Three years and a broken engagement later, we ended it. I went to Radford University for two and a half years where I was part of the Honors Program and also worked at a local grocery store. Life seemed full but was still lacking something. I left my scholarships and school when I realized I had no direction. I got a full time job at a bank and a part time job working fast food for extra cash. I was not dating anyone. I had friends, but mainly stayed in my own world. My sister came home for Christmas in 2003 and convinced me to move to Minnesota. She said the jobs were plentiful and I could use a fresh start. Was I up for yet another "fresh start?" The answer is-- hell yes. I moved and was quite depressed at first, but everything adjusted quite well. I started dating a coaster of a man and it only lasted 6 months, but it was my first relationship in four years so I didn't have many expectations going in. After that I started dating for the sake of dating. Then I got promoted at work and instantly developed a crush on a shy co-worker. Four months later we finally tried getting together outside of work and now I am in love. So does life still seem lacking? In my job I wish I were more challenged. In my personal life I am very content. Overall, I miss the beautiful mountains of Virginia, but I'm finally home.

No comments: