Saturday, September 08, 2007

In the Air Tonight




I remember sitting in front of my mother with my mouth hanging open as she said, "I can take music or leave it." I had just remarked how the song I was currently obsessed with moved me, and she responded with that! Music has always been a huge part of my life and where I find pleasure so hearing made me feel like I had nothing in common with my mother. (Also remember that we often feel like way in our teenage years!)


My next memory in this story is driving down country roads while listening to a Phil Collins hits album. "In the Air Tonight" started playing and my mom was instantly a little more quiet and attentive to the music. As the drums blared out the crescendo her hands beat the steering wheel along with the rhythm. She then replayed the song.

I knew in that moment that she could not simply take music, or leave it. And I will always be grateful to Phil Collins for proving her wrong.

Click here for the music video:

No comments: