Monday, September 24, 2007

Family


Jessica and Janessa



My beautiful sister Georgia



Dad, Mom, Brent, and I



Brent's parents Butch and Sue

Sheri, Ashley, and Matt



Cutie Ashley


Now that I am engaged to Brent, I am finally looking at his family as my own. All of them have embraced me. The last time I held Ashley her mother Sheri handed her to me saying, "Go see Auntie Lydia." I loved it. I am grateful to have a family close by when mine are so far away. With Georgia in South Korea and mom and dad 20 hours away in Virginia, it brings me great comfort to know I won't be spending Thanksgiving and Christmas alone ever again.

I remember the holidays of 2005 I worked a ton of voluntary overtime because I was depressed to be away from my parents. It was the first time in my life to not have big breakfasts, coffee, and laughs with my folks as they opened their presents from me... there is always a silly one tossed in there! Then came last year, I spent both holidays with the Johnsons since I couldn't make it home.

And yes, "home" will always be Virginia or wherever my parents are. I miss them dearly. Many times I wish I were with them but I know my life is here in Minnesota now. Brent will never relocate and I am fine with that. I love being in the thick of it all. Being in a suberb of a big city has many perks.

There are Farmer's Markets, State Fairs, IKEA, three grocery stores within 5 minutes of the apartment, pizza delivery, and simple things like a McDonalds close enough that your take out is still hot when you get home. And let's not forget the famous Mall of America. In Virginia, everything had to be planned. There was no, "Let's go rent a movie" because it was going to take over an hour to get it. Living in the city definitely has it's perks.

Am I saying that I hated country living? Absolutely not. I loved sitting on the front porch and hearing the river gently flowing across the street. I loved helping my parents mow the lawn and the simple evenings we spent watching TV and talking. I miss the shared looks over hot tea with my mother and the walks around the property looking at various plants with my dad. I miss the mountains.

But let me tell you this, I have never been happier in my life. I am certain as long as Brent is a part of it I will remain happy. The man completes me and if this is his home then it is mine as well. I have two homes and two families. And I feel blessed.

No comments: