Saturday, March 18, 2006

The Shit Hit the Fan


This last week I almost quit my job. I was placed on a 90 day Written Warning. A high profile client was upset with the policy they chose and I served as a scapegoat because I delivered bad news to a patient. Giving bad news is part of our job when dealing within the policies of a plan and prescription coverage. I did nothing wrong on the call and the patient did not submit a complaint regarding the customer service I provided, but because of his plan limitations. The client is now threatening to leave our company and I suppose the higher ups in our company wanted someone's head to roll, and it happened to be mine.
When my supervisor gave me the news, I was devastated and livid. I have never been told on any job that I was not performing well enough. I also had no Verbal Warning so jumping ahead to a Written was completely unjustified. I told my supervisor it was bullshit and said I would need to start looking for another job. I will not work for a company that is willing to place that amount of blame on me when I was doing my job as I had been trained. I give 100 % to this job and felt like I had been slapped in the face. I left work early because I was so upset and couldn't sleep that night.
The next morning they told me based on my reaction the amount of time was reduced to a 30 day Written Warning. That is when I fought back. I printed out the call history showing 3 other people told the patient the same answer I did and a training manual showing "help people within plan parameters." I talked to a manager, stated my case, and after talking to the call center director-- won.
I am no longer on a Written, but now doubt our company and in house politics. Can I really trust management now? Probably not.

No comments: