Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Shift Bids

Our company goes through shift bids every 6 months to accomodate call flow and to make sure we are appropriately staffed. We are ranked according to our job performance and attendance. The rank you receive determines when you get to chose your shift in line. For example, if you are 7 out of a possible 21, you get the 7th pick out of your queue. So basically, 6 other people have the opportunity to take the shift that you want.
We started going through this process in October of last year, so it's very new to the call center. The first time it occurred many people left because they couldn't adjust their schedules. People have busy lives with day care, college, traffic commute... or maybe you just want something simple like Sundays off to watch football during the season or two days off in a row.
People were furious last time with the implementation and my rank didn't help. I was number one with nothing to worry about except for the chiding way my co-workers treated me. Much to my surprise, I am number one again. I am by no means the "best" on my team. Every one of us has strengths in certain areas, that is why we are all supervisors. My stats are high and my attendance is perfect (well, not really but it ends up that way on the books). The score has to be based strictly on numbers in order to be efficient.
The whole process seems cold even though I understand the need for it. People hate change, and having a job that forces it so frequently sucks. The anxiety will return 6 months from now, and six months from then, until I grow some brains and find another job.

No comments: