Wednesday, February 08, 2006

"Smart"


I was just told by someone that I was "so smart." They admire me. Wow. How nice is that to hear?! Sometimes working in a call center as a knowledge base can be completely and totally draining, but when I hear compliments I am rejuvinated.
But what does smart mean? We all have the same avenues of research... is smart more your retention level or desire to learn? I have always been "smart." I got excellent grades in school and college, mainly because I am never satisfied unless I give 110%. But why doesn't everyone?
Does everyone have an equal chance at intelligence? For instance, if I marry a smart man, does that guarantee a smart child or will they have to work for it as I have? Not everything comes naturally to me. I am truly stumped at certain applications and have to work for it. When I was a kid I had a slight learning disability inverting numbers... to this day I still have to double check my work. I inverted numbers in my checkbook recently- thankfully it was just the cents!! But why did I strive to improve and enhance myself? Why am I driven when not everyone is? Is this because my parents urged me to suceed?
Is intelligence hereditary or behavorial? It's probably a combination of the two. Can you be smart and totally lacking ambition... yes. So does that mean you aren't smart? No.... just lazy or comfortable with your station of life.
Maybe I am just an ansy perfectionist.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Oh, my gosh I just did that a couple of days ago, inverting the cents in my check book too!