Monday, October 15, 2007

Kids Incorporated








My mom has been urging me to post about Kids Incorporated, which I didn't remember anything about until I typed it in on Google. Once I heard the jingle, it all came back to me. I remember it being a part of my childhood Disney experience. The show ran from September 1, 1984 until September 1, 1993. It consisted of a group of young teens (that occasionally shifted every few years as members grew too old to be "Kids" and were replaced) who performed cleaned up versions of pop music standards of the era, with most of the Kids noticeably pretending to play their own instruments (they did sing, though). Along the way, lessons were learned through the conflicts of the kids (e.g. the value of honesty, or why not to cheat on a test.)

Many child actors debuted on the show including Mario Lopez, Jennifer Love Hewitt as Robin, Martika (solo record of "Toy Soldiers"), Renee Sands, and Stacey Ferguson (AKA Fergie). Stacy Ferguson held the record as the longest-running cast member, staying with the show for six seasons. After Kids Incorporated ended, some of the kids remained successful in the entertainment industry while others simply fizzled out. Stacey Ferguson and Renee Sands joined forces to become part of a group called Wild Orchard. The group was popular for their R & B sound, but broke up in 2001. In 2003, Stacey started going by the name of Fergie after joining the Hip-Hop group The Black Eyed Peas. She is now persuing a solo career.

It is amazing to me how a show can generate such an amazing career. The Mickey Mouse Club has also given many child actors/singers their start. I wonder what the next equivalent will be in today's generation. And please don't say Hannah Montana or High School Musical!

Check out the pipes on a young Stacy Ferguson:




The Career Path of Fergie:








1 comment:

Visual Reflections said...

Lydia,

What is this craziness of going back to the 90's! We left it and it should stay that way!! As soon as I saw the picture I remembered KIDS Incorporated. So funny what wholesome things use to be on for children. Not so much anymore. You never know about Hannah Montana and High School Musical. I really like both but as you would say, "You would!" I love you and miss you.