Saturday, March 10, 2007

Dixie Chicks: Shut Up and Sing!

The Dixie Chicks have always been one of my favorite female groups. Their music is fresh, full of classic country sounds, and I connect with their lyrics. In 2003 at the beginning of the Iraq war, their popularity plummeted because the lead singer, Natalie Maines, said she was ashamed President Bush was from Texas while performing in London. Their #1 hit Traveling Soldier fell off the charts, radios refused to play their music, people destroyed their albums, and they received a death threat. I was living in Virginia at the time in the heart of the bible belt and almost everyone is staunch Republican. The uproar in my hometown was amazing. People were irate, disgusted, and disappointed that the Dixie Chicks disagreed with the majority of their fans politically. I remember being surprised that Natalie said that so openly but was impressed as well that the statement was never withdrawn. The Chicks stood together, built a new sound, and became closer as a sisterhood. I watched Shut Up and Sing! which documents the Chicks rise and fall. They are still making music and have not regained the American South... but they are fine with that. Their new album, Taking the Long Way, is amazing. Ever since watching the documentary with bits and pieces of the new album included, I bought it and have been listening to it since. This is the first album that includes no fluff. It is real. They've grown stronger. Watch the video for "I'm Not Ready to Make Nice" and decide for yourself. I am more of a fan. Apparently everyone agrees with me or they wouldn't have snagged 5 Grammy Awards including Album of the Year for 2007.

No comments: