Thursday, January 24, 2008

Wedding Dress Story

So this is the story of my wedding dress. I made plans to try on dresses at David's Bridal on Saturday, January 19 for the first time. Since I had never tried on dresses, I pessimistically assumed this would be the start of a long, drawn-out process. I picked up Sydney, my old roomie and long-time friend, and met Brent's family at the store in Roseville for a 3 pm appointment.

The store was crowded but once we were shown our area we were all much more at ease. We luckily got a corner location that allowed the 6 of us to spread out a bit and be comfortable. All except for Sydney and I who were hard at work getting in and out of the sometimes cumbersome dresses...!

After being embarrassed getting sized, the dresses started pouring in. The women favored the embellished dresses with bead work, trains, and little extras. I put many dresses on that we lovely but not me. I couldn't imagine wearing a dress that felt like a production to my small, outdoor wedding.

I kept seeing this ribbon, bell shaped dress out of the corner of my eye and after trying 10 different dresses on, asked if that came in my size. I had never noticed the dress in the catalogue or online... but it looked lovely hanging on the rack. They only had a size larger so I tried it on and was able to twist it around my body it was so big! But I loved it.

It was the only dress that made me feel emotional, like that was the one. It was simple and elegant. It didn't feel like a fuss. Needless to say, I wanted the dress. I found out the dress has been discontinued in "Women's" sizes so I couldn't just order it. My heart fell.

Since we were all getting tired, I decided to call it a day and go out to dinner where I continued to think about the ribbon dress. Sheri said it was Sue's favorite, and it was Syd's favorite because she saw my reaction to it. Sheri, Angie, and Jessie thought a different dress suited my figure more.

The next morning I called the other stores in the metro area to see what they had. I made an appointment in Richfield on Monday night after work to see if a size smaller or a large petite cut would work. All day I thought of the dress.

I arrived at David's Bridal with my friend Sugantha with a feeling a dread. I told her what dress I wanted and they only had one left, in a size too small. So now there was only one chance for this to work. By this time, I had convinced myself to just buy the dress and lose weight if it were doable. So when Sugantha pulled up the zipper with no trouble- I knew it was fate.

I purchased my bell dress that makes me feel like a princess with cash money (as daddy says) and am so grateful. If I lose 10-15 lbs it will be more comfortable, but it is not necessary.

So the story of my dress is this- I saw it out of the corner of my eye, searched for it, and now have it in my possession. All in 3 days.

Sometimes you just know.

1 comment:

Visual Reflections said...

I want to see the dress on you. maybe not on the blog but give a sista a break, especially one all the way in South Korea. Sugintha got to see it why not me?????