Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Melting Pot



Last night to celebrate Brent's 29th birthday, we went to the Melting Pot in Minneapolis with Charlie and Jacquie. It was by far the most enjoyable dining experience of my life. Our waiter was excellent. He knew the menu, what sauces were compatible with what meats, and was attentive but not overbearing. Needless to say he got a substantial tip. Both couples ordered what the restaurant calls "The Big Night Out." We started with cheese fondue and dippers. It was a Mediterranean Cheese Fondue that consisted of Fontina and Grùyere cheeses blended with roasted garlic, dates, shallots and a touch of white truffle oil. The dippers were different breads, tortilla chips, fresh vegetables and green apples. I didn't think I would like the apple, but paired with such yummy cheese it was awesome!


Our salads came next. Brent chose the House Salad. It consisted of crisp greens, Roma tomatoes, cucumbers, eggs, and Emmenthaler Swiss cheese, served with sweet and tangy House Dressing. Brent was quite impressed with the dressing. I chose the California Salad that had mixed baby salad greens, Roma tomatoes, walnuts and Gorgonzola cheese, with Raspberry Black Walnut Vinaigrette Dressing.


Then the entree. We chose the Fondue Fusion with Coq au Vin as the cooking style. The broth had flavors of fresh herbs, mushrooms, garlic, spices, and burgundy wine. I had no idea that fondue with meats meant that raw meat was served and we cooked it ourselves at the table! Everything essentially took 2 minutes to cook and the Coq au Vin ensured that the food would never burn. My favorite bite was probably the pork tenderloin, it was incredibly tender. Here is what the entree consisted of:

Lobster Tail
Filet Mignon Medallion
Balsamic-Marinated Sirloin
Garlic and Herb Chicken
Citrus Pork Tenderloin
White Shrimp
Wild Mushroom Ravioli
Roasted Red Pepper Rigatoni
Fresh Vegetables

And then desert. At this point we were all so happy and pleased. We had been sitting for over an hour enjoying a leisurely meal and great conversation and then bam!- the chocolate fondue. We chose the Flaming Turtle for the table. It was milk chocolate, caramel and chopped pecans, flambeed table side. The dippers included fresh strawberries, bananas, cheesecake, tasty marshmallows, pound cake and brownies. Let me tell you, I have never experienced something as decadent as a fresh strawberry dipped in such delicious chocolate. I wanted to dip my fingers in by themselves just to get at the chocolate!


I enjoyed the evening so immensely that it stayed on my mind through-out the course of the day. I was pleased to be able to give my fiance such a wonderful memory on his birthday. All four of us had a great time. And if you are wondering why I went into such great detail on the menu, it's because I want you to try it yourself! Let's all fondue!








Here is the website if you are interesed: http://www.meltingpot.com/

2 comments:

Visual Reflections said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Visual Reflections said...

Make us reservations because we are going when I come home for the wedding!!